Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas in Vienna - Part 3 -Cafes

Wow! There was a CHATTANOOGA Cafe! I was walking along at the old town center and glanced up...and stopped dead in my tracks. I asked Billy, "Look there...Is that what I think it is?" The sign was hard to photograph, but I got some interior shots. The owner of the cafe had supposedly lived in Chattanooga and the restaurant was devoted to Glenn Miller and the Chattanooga Choo Choo theme. The interior upstairs was decorated to resemble a train car.  It reminded me of the train cars at the Chattanooga Choo Choo Hotel and Restaurant in our hometown where you can sleep in old train cars and the restaurants are reconditioned diner cars.
This restaurant had evidently been in business for many, many years in Vienna and had been a popular music venue.
Vienna is known for its coffee cafe culture.  The coffee is delicious and the enviroment is very relaxed, inviting people to stay and chat and read for as long as they like.
The cakes, tortes and desserts were SO yummy and really not quite as sweet as they are in the USA.
The specialty Billy and I enjoyed was a chocolate cake dessert called Sachertorte. There was also a special milky coffee called Melange that was available everywhere

This was a very old cafe that was near the city hall.  We had a light meal here. As in most Viennese cafes, dogs are very welcome.  We really loved this little guy.  The owner tried to keep him at her feet, but he kept peeking out! My large standard poodle, Ludwig (Wiggie) would LOVE to follow me into restaurants! He IS able to be with us at some Chattanooga restaurants that have outdoor seating. Seeing these dogs makes me really miss my poodle-boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment