Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Breakfast in Altotting

I was invited to a breakfast gathering of English speaking people in the town of Altotting, Germany.  Here's my view while I sipped my coffee at the bakery where I picked up a dozen fresh pretzels to bring. The little family owned place was right in the middle of town near the main plaza with all the churches and city buildings. There were 2-3 schools nearby and I watched the kids as they changed classes.  You can see them in the background of this picture. One school is a music school and many students carried their instruments as they went.

After having my coffee,...my pretzels, bicycle and I went to a beautiful home on the other side of the plaza. This is a snap or two of the beautiful garden.  It was raining a bit, so we ate inside. The home owner is a woman from Maine that has made her home in Germany many years.  She seems to enjoy "adopting" strays like me. The other day, she even let me tag along to the grocery store with her to help me figure out what I was buying!
She is a warm & welcoming hostess and has a facinating home that once was a blacksmith shop. Her husband's grandfather was the last blacksmith there. In German homes it is polite to take your shoes off at the door...especially in the winter so as not the track in snow and muck. The first time I visited her, I didn't know this...but she never said a word about it! At least it wasn't raining or snowing that day.
Deede

No comments:

Post a Comment