Thursday, September 22, 2011

Potato Dumplings

Back of dumpling box showing a German potato farmer
The circle says the potatoes used are 100% German.


Last night I made potato dumplins for supper. They came in a box and they looked like little bean bag chairs in miniature!  You cook them in boiling, salted water for 15 minutes then run them under cold water and cut the bags open to serve them.  They came in different flavors but I used the plain. I've made dumplings at home in Tennessee from scratch and they were pretty time consuming to prepare. These were easy and tasted great!  In a large skillet, I fried some brats and added a package of red cabbage with apples when they were done. It was fast and delicious. All was put on a plate with mustard from a tube (that looks like a tube of toothpaste to me...) and that was our meal.
Mustard in a tube!
Most kitchens here have glass induction cooktops.  It is very different to use these from the electric eyes or gas burners I've used at home. When something boils over, you have to take a single edge razor blade and scrape the glass surface afterwards.  You'd think this would scratch the dickens out of it, but it comes out pretty and smooth. Then there is glass polish you can put on...this is suppose to add a protective layer to make it easier to clean the next time. Taking care of the equipment and appliances in a German home has been something I've had to learn. Many things are very different.
Soon I'll post about about doing laundry!
Deede

No comments:

Post a Comment