Friday, December 23, 2011

Riding Around in the Freezing Temps!

 Just as it was in the middle of summer, it is surprising me just how much the Burghausers are living their life outdoors. Here's the bicycle traffic at the kindergarten down the street on a typical weekday morning about 7:30-8:00. There are teenagers cycling past on their way to the school in the center of town and there are parents with their small ones behind them (in child seats) as they drop them off here on their way to work. Sometimes the little bitty ones are in  pull-along trailors on the back of cycles. There are more baby "buggies" here than strollers, it seems, and there are all kinds of special adaptors to handle the weather... raincoverings, buntings, unbrellas and sunshades.  No matter what the weather, it seems that getting out the automobile is the LAST resort!

 The young and the older... everyone is biking and walking.
 Yep, Billy and I are right out there with them!  It began snowing when I was shopping downtown the other day (Here's my cute little cycle.) Riding along with the snow hitting you in the face is definitely a new experience.  I tend to go fairly slow, because I don't know the whens and wheres of icing and how it reacts on my bike tires.

The kindergarten (shown in the first 2 pictures) is straight ahead in these shots from a side road.  These were taken as I was just about home and with a pretty good snowfall going on. There was about a 1/4" of snow stuck to my wool coat. I've gotten pretty adept at wrapping my scarf a certain way to keep my face from freezing! I'm not sure what the white haze is in the bottom picture...I guess its my breath! ...but I thought it actually improved the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment