Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 20 in Germany

This is a blog about an American couple coming to Germany to live and work for about a year. Billy is here working for Wacker Chemie AG that is starting a new plant in Cleveland, TN near Chattanooga.  I (his wife) am here with him to help make a home during our short stay and to enjoy the sites, sounds and everyday life in a small Bavarian town.
 IT IS DAY 20 OF OUR STAY IN BURGHAUSEN!
After arriving in Munich on Luftansia airlines on July 28, 2011, we were shuttled by taxi eastward through several small villages of southern Germany. It took about about an hour and a half to reach our new home.  The overnight flight From Charlotte, NC was incredible and we had been able to rest a bit before dealing with the 6 hour time advance. We were greeted curbside by a local woman named Claudia as we came into town. Claudia is our lifesaver! She was born and grew up in Burghausen and knows the town...& Germany like the back of her hand. We'd be lost without her.
This is our home in Germany on Piracher Strasse (Street)! In the picture you see three houses? Ours apartment is where you see the 2nd floor windows of the middle house.  The window facing the street is our living room window. I'm sitting at that window as I write this entry....There is a beautiful view of the neighborhood from that window as well as the Burghausen countyside.
This is what I see as I look out my open window each morning. I took this picture a few days ago when it was cloudy, but this morning it is bright, sunny and about 68 degrees or so.  Notice the pedestrian and bike lane on our street? Wow, this is wonderful.  We can bike everywhere here without getting mowed down!
Almost all of the houses here have the red tile roofs and are white stucco.  Gardens with beautiful flowers and shrubs are the norm. Window boxes thrive and look very lush in this cooler climate.
Since I had to wait so long to start this blog, I'm really not sure where to start. There's been SO many new and amazing things that have happened in the last 3+ weeks.  I guess I'll just start off and go...I'll try not to ramble too much, but the main things I want to talk about are the everyday occurences here that feel unique to my American sensibilities. 
  Feel free to email me with questions about our experience here...

Deede

1 comment:

  1. Awesome..Glad you are doing this. I can go back to Germany thru you all..I lived there two & half years back in late 70's..Always wanted to go back...Enjoy all of it...so much to do and see...

    ReplyDelete