Tuesday, August 30, 2011

You've GOT to Have a Bicycle in Burghausen!

Here is a quick picture of my cute little German-made bicycle! It's great. I ride it everywhere.  During the week, we rarely start the car. I go grocery shopping (which I do often as everyone buys fresh things almost daily), to visit friends, to lunch at restaurants and just cruising around town for fun. There is more bicycle parking here than car parking.  The lots at the stores and workplaces look like seas of cycles.
The "Pegasus" has 7 gears and has brakes on the handlebars ...but you can pedal backwards to stop too. That's just like my bike did when I was a kid!
You see everyone on bicycles. I've been surprised at the older people on them. I saw a woman the other day that had to be in her upper 80's (at least) pedaling down the road with her purchases in her basket. Since the people here seem to like flowers so much, you often see ladies riding around with their baskets overflowing with them to take home for their tables or window sills.
Here's one of the places where Billy and I have often gone riding in the evenings.  This is a cobblestone road that runs the length of the castle (about a mile). It is a beautiful ride at sunset.  If you look to the left as you ride toward the main castle, you will see the old town and the Salzach River far below.  If you glance to the right, you can view the beautiful cool waters of the lake swimming area (also far below) with the green farmlands and cornfields.

No comments:

Post a Comment